Fiji has a sunny, tropical climate all year around. However, you can also expect rain and temperatures from 22 degrees to 33 degrees Celsius from December to April. May to November is generally cool where the temperature ranges from 19 to 29 degrees Celsius.
Fiji is located very close to the International Date Line and hence it is 12 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time.
Population and Language
Fiji is a multicultural country where the official language is English.
The population is approximately 885,000 which is mainly made up of Indigenous Fijians, Indians, Chinese, Europeans and other Pacific Islanders.
When visiting locations away from hotels and resorts or while visiting Fijian villages it is very important to take heed of your dressing. Kindly avoid wearing hats or sun glasses in a village as this is considered to an insult to the village protocol.
Fiji has an efficient medical system with Government and privately run hospitals, clinics, surgical centres, dental services, and pharmacies.
Phone calls and Internet
The country code for Fiji is +679 or 00679. You can easily have access to direct dialing facilities through your hotels and similarly card phones are available in many shops.
Fiji has three major mobile network providers which are Vodafone Fiji Limited, Digicel and Inkk Mobile. You can also purchase local sim cards from the airport or arrange roaming status before arriving here. Internet is available in most parts on Fiji.
The Fijian dollar is available in denominations of $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 notes while the coins are 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2.
Twenty four hours foreign exchange services are provided at the arrivals section at the Nadi International Airport. Additionally, you can easily access ATMs around the country and use debit cards while shopping locally at certain shopping centers.
Fiji, similar to Australia and New Zealand have a three-pin power outlet. The electric current is 240 volts. Hotels and resorts offer universal outlets for 240v or 11v shavers, hair dryers, and other electrical appliances.
Fiji prohibits the import of vegetable matter, seeds, or any animal product without a permit from the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forests.
VAT or Government’s Value Added Tax of 9 % is applicable on all goods and services in Fiji. You will also be expected to pay a Service Turnover Tax or 6% and Environment & Climate Adaptation Levy of 10% while staying in hotels.
Please note, single use plastic bags are now banned in Fiji and you will have to use environment friendly alternatives for your shopping needs. Major supermarkets, shops and shopping centers also sell eco-friendly shopping bags.
Governments VAT Refund Scheme
Fiji has a VAT refund scheme which allows visitors to claim a refund of VAT paid on goods purchased in Fiji and taken through the Nadi International Airport as the final port of departure to a foreign destination. This refund is subject to certain conditions.
You can get more details on this Scheme and the services provided by our customs department through www.frcs.org.fj/our-services/customs
Customs Duty and Duty Free Concessions
A bona fide passenger disembarking in Fiji is entitled to the following duty and VAT free concessions:
- Dutiable goods accompanying passengers (other than alcohol and tobacco products) not exceeding F$1,000.00 in value.
- Goods that are owned by passengers and not intended as gifts or for sale – personal effects, household effects for returning residents or intending residents, articles taken out of Fiji on departure on which duty and tax have been paid.
Every passenger 17 years and over can bring into Fiji the following goods duty and VAT free, provided they are accompanied and not for sale:
- Cigarettes, not exceeding 250 sticks or Cigars, not exceeding 250grams net weight or Tobacco not exceeding 250grams net weight.
- Any combination of (1) to (3) above, provided the total net weight does not exceed 250grams
- Spirituous liquors not exceeding 2.25 litres or
- Wines, not exceeding 4.5 litres or
- Beer, not exceeding 4.5 litres or
- Any combination of the goods in paragraph (5) to (7) above, provided that the combination does not exceed the equivalent quantity under any one paragraph
- Other dutiable goods, not exceeding F$1,000.00 in value.
For more custom duty related information please visit the following link: